Sally Misplon is the founder of Misplon Green Building Consultants and recently scooped the Established Green Star Award at the Green Building Council South Africa’s 2018 Leadership Awards. She was also the joint winner of the award for Best Quality Submission, which was received for her work on the Liberty Life Centre in Umhlanga near Durban.
Having already achieved more than 37 Green Star SA Existing Building Certifications for various commercial clients, she is truly improving and transforming South Africa’s built environment. She recently relocated from Cape Town to Johannesburg and continues to play a leading role in the green building industry of South Africa.
Standing at the start line of Ironman South Africa earlier this year was a combination of fear and exhilaration!
1. Where do you go for inspiration?
Riding my bike, running and just generally being outdoors.
2. What do you think is the most urgent global environmental challenge facing us?
Natural resource depletion. Experiencing the drought in the Western Cape has made it very real to everyone that we are using our natural resources faster than we are able to replenish them. A desolate, dry Earth is not a fun place to live.
3. What is the most useful tool that helps you every day?
The internet for research and OneNote for organising my tasks and everyday life.
4. What do you feel is the biggest issue in the green building industry that we have to overcome?
Environmental awareness and buy-in from people.
5. When was the last time you were scared? What scares you?
Standing at the start line of Ironman South Africa earlier this year. However, the feeling was more a combination of fear and exhilaration!
6. What are you reading/listening to?
To be honest, I don’t read a lot. Most of my free time is spent outdoors and with my doggies. When I do have free time in the evenings, I prefer going to sleep early and getting a good night’s rest.
7. What achievement are you most proud of?
Being able to achieve a balanced and healthy lifestyle.
8. What is the best part of your work day?
Every day of work is different for me. I will always enjoy and appreciate the flexibility I have, which means I can structure my day however I like. Most days I will get up early to ride or run with a group of friends or take my puppies for a walk. This means I start my day feeling energized, healthy and happy 😊
9. What is a message you would like to shout from the rooftops/put on a billboard? Something you wish everyone could know and take to heart.
Be kind and patient.
10. What is a nifty, ‘sustainability hack’ that you use in your daily life to live more environmentally friendly?
Small changes can make a big difference, for instance:
- Use airplane mode. You don’t need to be on an airplane to take advantage of your cell phone’s airplane mode, which charges your phone faster and uses less energy.
- Eat what’s in season. Not only do fruits and veggies taste better when in season, but it’s better value for you and for the planet.
- Reuse water to feed thirsty plants.